Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Best Muffins EVER!


OK folks, I just got some EXTRA SPECIAL info that I need to pass along to you all. Every Tuesday 1 of my very favorite personal training clients (who wishes to remain nameless) brings me at least six of these Raisin Bran Protein Muffins and I cannot keep them longer than a day or two; THEY ARE RIDICULOUS! It took me over six months to pry this recipe from her, but after constant begging and pleading, I GOT IT! I know the name Raisin Bran Protein Muffins doesn't sound as good as I'm assuring you they are, but you'll have to just TRUST ME on this 1!


They may not be the picture of a super-healthy snack, but they are much better for you and much better tasting than anything you'll find at Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks. I don't have exact numbers, but I'll guess that each muffin contains approximately 200-220 calories, 10-12 grams of protein, and 5-7 grams of fiber. I have never made them myself, but it looks simple enough that I think I could if necessary.


Raisin Bran Protein Muffins
This makes a huge bowl and keeps up to six weeks in the fridge. Use a very large bowl that has a lid!!
5 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar/can use substitute but I don't
1 (15) oz. box raisin bran/ any brand will do, organic is good.....less sugar
1 cup LOW FAT granola
5 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. salt
1 qt. lowfat buttermilk
4 eggs slightly beaten/can use egg substitute
1 cup canola oil
4 to 5 scoops protein powder/ I use ARIA Vanillla
1/4 cup ground flax seed


Combine flour, sugar, raisin bran, granola, baking soda, salt, protein, and flax. Combine buttermilk, eggs and oil and stir into dry ingredients just until blended. Cover mixture and refrigerate overnight. When ready to use, preheat oven to 375. Fill greased muffin tins (use Pam or lowfat spray) 3/4 full and bake for about 17-20 minutes. This muffin mixture keeps up to 6 weeks in fridge...if it lasts that long!


Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment